Saturday, November 28, 2020

Just keep going

  Scripture Mark 13:24-37.  NRSV   


But in those days, after that suffering,

the sun will be darkened,

    and the moon will not give its light,

25 and the stars will be falling from heaven,

    and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.


26 Then they will see ‘the Son of Man coming in clouds’ with great power and glory. 27 Then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.


28 “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. 29 So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 30 Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.


32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33 Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come. 34 It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his slaves in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to be on the watch. 35 Therefore, keep awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or at dawn, 36 or else he may find you asleep when he comes suddenly. 37 And what I say to you I say to all: Keep awake.”


***************************************************************


Today is the first Sunday of Advent. It is the first day of the Church year, which is, as most of you know, the calendar I pay the most attention to.  I have been known to completely miss national holidays.  So, we have Advent candles, Christmas decorations, and music we only hear at this time of year.  


Today is also the Sunday we were supposed to be back in our sanctuary for in-person worship.  Sadly, that was not possible.  In Fresno County, as in much of the country, the number of cases, the percentage of positives out of all the tests given, the number of hospitalizations - all of those numbers are going up, making it much less safe to gather in groups.  To give you a picture of what that looks like - in the seven day period that ended on Thursday there were 85 new cases in Selma.  The week before there were 69 new cases.  The week before that there were 50.  It is good to stay in and stay safe.  It is an act of love to stay in and stay safe.  


So, Advent.  This year the first Sunday of Advent is bookended by Black Friday and Cyber Monday.  It is without a doubt the busiest shopping time of the year, with the possible exception of the day after Christmas.  Even this year.  Retailers are reporting unexpectedly high sales especially in things like decorations and items to make being at home more comfortable, more entertaining.  I would like to remind you, however, that Advent is not just the Christmas Shopping Season.  It is a season of waiting and preparation.  And yes, buying Christmas gifts, baking and sending cards is preparing, but during Advent our focus is preparing for the coming of the Child and the second coming of Christ - both at the same time.  This year we are focusing on prophecies around both of these events.   


Today’s reading from the Gospel according to Mark speaks of the end of days, that day when all persons will be judged, both the living and the dead.  That is the day the Son of Man, the Messiah, will return in glory and gather to himself all his people from everywhere in the world.   The belief among the Jewish people of Jesus’ time was that upon death each person goes to a waiting place, which they called Sheol.  And there they would stay and wait until that last day, when (according to the Pharisees) all would be resurrected in the body and brought into God’s presence.  (The Sadducees did not believe in resurrection, rather that everyone would remain in Sheol for all eternity.)  Jesus speaks of the signs by which we would know that the end was near.  He said that this generation would not pass away before that time came.  His disciples assumed that meant it would happen during their lifetimes.  That didn’t happen, so we fall back on only God knows when that day will come.  Jesus tells his followers that, as they had no way of knowing the actual date of his return, it would be best if they just stayed ready all the time.   Over the time of his earthly ministry he made that point repeatedly, as in the parable of the bridesmaids in Matthew, and the sleeping doorkeeper in this passage.  Later Paul would caution the churches he established to be prepared, even to the extent of remaining unmarried and celibate until that day came, because he, too, believed Jesus would return soon - next week, a month from now, possibly in a couple of years, but soon.  In 1 Corinthians he says - if you are married, stay married.  If you are a slave, serve your master. If you are not circumcised do not seek circumcision.  Just keep going as you are, until the end.  For at the end is glory.


If you read my Daily Journal on Facebook you know that I have been focused on this topic lately.  Especially the “we don’t know what is coming next” part.  I dislike not knowing what’s coming next.   Really dislike it.  I like to plan stuff way in advance if at all possible.  I mean, I am currently planning my sermons for January.  I’m trying to figure out what Ash Wednesday might look like in Covid time.  I know what these things entail under the circumstances I have known since I started attending Treasure Coast Christian Church in Florida.  But now?  When I don’t even have any idea when we will be worshipping in person again . . . We have decided that we will return to in person worship the Sunday immediately following Fresno County’s return to the next tier of restrictions, but that gives us less than a week to completely shift from online to in the sanctuary while live-streaming the service for those who for whatever reason do not attend in person.  Like, maybe you live in Texas (Hi Allyson, my niece!)  So I’m a little freaked.


I mean, never mind the end of the world.  I just want to know when I can go get a pedicure. I want to know when all of this will be over.  Jesus says, be alert.  Keep awake.  Be ready all the time, because we have no idea when that time will come.


I am in good company at not knowing what our future holds.  Scientists and medical folks can only give us their best guess about what to expect, as they’ve never done this before either.  Dr Ngozi Ezike, Director of the Illinois Department of Health, said in a recent interview, “Tomorrow remains to be written and we are all its authors.”  Whatever happens down the road comes as a direct result of what we do today.  If we are prepared for what happens, if we just keep going, keep slogging through the difficulties and uncertainties, then just as the bridesmaids who tended their lamps and the doorkeeper who stayed awake to wait for his master had their hopes fulfilled and their vigilance rewarded, so too will we.  


Thomas Merton expressed hope in times of uncertainty this way: 


My Lord God,

I have no idea where I am going.

I do not see the road ahead of me.

I cannot know for certain where it will end.

nor do I really know myself,

and the fact that I think I am following your will

does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you

does in fact please you.

And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.

I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,

though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust you always though

I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.

I will not fear, for you are ever with me,

and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. 

Amen


Jesus said be alert. Keep awake.  Just keep going.  Walk forward in hope.  

The Lord will make a way somehow, and see us through.



No comments:

Post a Comment